Once you’ve been pre-approved for a mortgage, it’s time to find a real estate agent to help you search for a property. Here are tips you can use to find a the perfect agent for you!
WHERE TO FIND AN AGENT
Friends, Family and Coworkers. Asking your network for real estate agent recommendations is always a great place to start! If someone in your network connects you with an agent they used in the past, make sure that the agent is still actively taking on clients and is equipped to handle your search. (Keep scrolling for a list of questions to ask an agent before working with them)
Referral Agent. A referral agent is someone who has connections with real estate agents all across the country and can match you with an agent based on your needs. It doesn’t cost you anything to use a referral agent! They usually make a referral commission from the agent that they connect you with. It doesn’t affect your process at all. (If you’re ready to be connected with an agent right now, I can help!)
WHAT TO ASK BEFORE WORKING WITH AN AGENT
- Do you work full-time or part-time as an agent?
- What is your schedule and availability for property viewings?
- What is your schedule and availability for phone calls/texts/emails?
- What’s your preferred contact method?
- Are you familiar with (insert area of expertise like- VA loan purchases, multi family properties, first time home buyer programs, etc.)?
- How many clients are you currently working with?
- Do you have any lender recommendations? (Sometimes agents have direct relationships with lenders that they can work with to get you approved. This can be a great option if you’re not already pre-approved for a mortgage.)
These are just a few questions that you can ask before deciding to work with an agent, but if any others come to mind- feel free to bring them up! You want to make sure that the agent you work with is a good fit.
For more real estate agent related tips, check out these posts: 15 Question to Ask Your Agent During your Home Search and Two Things Your Agent Should NOT Do.